Indian passports are generally issued for 10 years duration, and are bound to expire eventually. If you are staying in USA and your Indian passport is going to expire within 6 months, you need to apply for passport renewal as soon as possible. In this article, I will outline the documents required to submit your application to Indian Embassy in USA.
- Fill the on-line application form at https://passport.gov.in/nri/OnlineRegistration.jsp?pocode=USAW and take its printout after you are done with filling application. The printed copy should be signed by the applicant.
- Write your contact telephone number as well as e-mail address on the front page (in some blank space) of the printed application. Your telephone number/e-mail address are required in case there is any need to contact you.
- 3 recent passport size photographs (3.5 cm x 3.5 cm -front facial pose) with white or a light coloured background. Note that Indian passport photo requirements are different than USA passport size (2 inch x 2 inch or approximately 5 cm x 5cm), so please do not submit US Passport size photographs.
- You must your old passport in original, and a photocopy of the first 5 and last 2 pages of your original old passport. If your old passport had any additional booklet, you need to send that original booklet too.
- I think you need not submit your I-94. Even if you want, you can submit a photocopy, but should not required.
- The applicant is required to submit the documents of his/her active status in USA. These documents includes USA visa photocopy, H1-B approval notice copy, Employment Authorization Card (EAD) copy, I-20 copy if student, or documents related to your Green Card application if application is in processing. All these documents should be notarized.
- A photocopy of proof of applicant’s residential address, which may include current Driving License, Utility bill such as Gas, Electric or Water or Rental Lease agreement or Home Mortgage bill showing the residential address.
- A non-refundable fee of US$40.00 for normal booklet (36 pages) or US$50.00 for Jumbo booklet (60 pages) has to be paid in cash (only at the counter) or by Certified cheque or Money Order payable to Embassy of India, Washington DC. Please note that personal checks are not accepted. If applying through mail include a separate Certified cheque or Money Order of US$20.00. Please note that the fee once paid is not refunded on account of refusal of service or delay in service. Please insist on a receipt for any money paid at the counter.
- If your passport does not include your spouse’s name and you want it to be included, then a notarized copy of marriage certificate must be submitted along with the application.
- If your passport expired more than a year ago then a notarized affidavit (http://www.indianembassy.org/download_file.php?action=download&mainfolder=form_files/&filename=Form_Pdf_35.pdf) is required. The applicant will be informed if an interview is required.
- If your appearance has changed significantly, a notarized copy of this form (http://www.indianembassy.org/download_file.php?action=download&mainfolder=form_files/&filename=Form_Pdf_34.pdf) with your recent photograph is also required.
Mailing Address or In Person Submission:
Embassy of India,
2536, Massachusetts Avenue, NW,
Washington DC 20008
Contact Number for Enquiries: 1-202-939-9888