The most important requirement for obtaining a F2 visa is that the individuals who are planning to visit USA (United States of America) should be a dependant of F1 visa holders. F1 dependants eligible for F2 visa are spouse and children.
In addition to this requirement, another very important thing to not about F2 visa is that F2 visa holders are not allowed to work in any form in USA. F2 visa is not a work permit and the person holding F2 visa can not indulge in any work in which that person gets paid.
F2 visa holders are not eligible to get SSN (social security number). Few years before, I think that F2 visa holders were eligible for getting SSN but were not eligible to work, as F2 visa can not be used as work permit. It seems that some F2 visa holders used their SSN to work illegally. So to prevent this to happen, now all dependants visas (like F2 or H4) where one is not eligible to work, are not granted SSN but just ITIN ((an identification number used in USA for tax purposes)) . These are just my thoughts and I have not verified any of this.
Anyway, F2 visa holders can get ITIN number. When F1 visa holder files tax return, he/she can show F2 visa holders as dependent using this ITIN number and can get dependant’s benefits such as higher standard deductions on taxes.
Therefore, a person applying for F2 visa should keep above points in mind. Now I will list the documents required at the time of visa interview for F2.
1. Applicant’s passport.
2. DS-160 application confirmation letter with CEAC bar code.
3. Applicant’s visa photos as specified on here.
4. Original HDFC bank visa fee receipt with two bar code stickers.
5. Interview appointment letter.
6. Applicant’s I-20 (original) (your spouse must have got this from his/her university, and sent to you).
7. Photocopy of your spouse’s I-20 document.
Not mandatory, but must-have (highly important) documents:
1. Original marriage registration certificate.
2. Wedding photo album.
3. A few Invitation cards (original).
4. Your spouse’s US bank statements (to show that he/she can finance you).
5. Photocopy of your spouse’s passport.
6. Photocopy of your spouse’s US Visa.
7. Photocopy of your spouse’s I-94 card.
8. Photocopy of your spouse’s Federal Income Tax returns
9. Photocopy of your spouse’s State Income Tax returns
10. Photocopies of your spouse’s paystubs
If your spouse (F1) is working on OPT (optional practical training), then must-have (highly important) documents:
1. Photocopies of your spouse’s (F1′s) current and previous OPT cards (employment authorization cards).
2. Photocopies of your spouse’s (F1′s) paystubs (or salary slips) for almost 1 year (although paystubs of previous few months are also fine)
3. Original and photocopy of employment letter
1. Your spouse’s Indian bank statements.
2. Applicant’s mark-sheets and certificates starting from 10th standard.
3. Applicant’s birth certificate.
4. Applicant’s Itinerary details.
Important photocopies to keep with you:
1. Photocopy of applicant’s I-20 form.
2. Photocopies of applicant’s passport’s first page, address page, and last page.
In general, it is good to have at least 2 photocopies of each original document you are carrying with you. One set of photocopies you can carry with you, and another set of photocopies you can leave at home to have backup in case something is lost.
Documents not really needed but you may have:
1. Photocopy of your spouse’s social security card.
2. Photocopy of your spouse’s car title.
3. Photocopy of your spouse’s driving license.
Note: In the above, “Applicant” means person applying for F2 visa, and “your spouse” means applicant’s spouse.