I have prepared these questions by talking with some of my friends who have gone through this process before. Not all questions may be relevant to your situations, and some questions may seem unnecessary. I just wanted to prepare a comprehensive list to cover different scenarios. I have also tried to group the questions in different categories for better clarity. If you think if some important question is missing, or some question listed here is not clear, please leave a comment.
1. How long are you and your spouse planning to stay in USA? (Answer: For the duration of your H1B)
2. What is your education?
3. What type/kind of visa are you applying for? (Answer: ofcourse H4)
4. How did you receive the documents?
5. Who took the visa interview appointment online?
6. Where will you stay in USA?
7. Who will bear the expenses while you are in USA or who will financially support you in the US?
8. Who filed the visa application and where did you file it?
9. Are you traveling alone, in case you are, they may ask why?
Your spouse’s (who is on H1B) job related questions:
1. Where does your spouse work, or what is the name of your spouse’s company?
2. How long has your spouse been working?
3. What is your spouse’s position (role) in the company? What are his/her job responsibilities or job description?
4. Is your spouse employed through some consultant company or is he employed directly?
5. What is your spouse’s salary?
6. Where is your spouse’s employer located?
7. If working for a consultant company, where are his clients located?
8. What are your spouse’s timings at his/her current job? does he/she ever work beyond that?
Marriage related questions:
1. When did you get married? or How long have you been married?
2. Was it arranged or love marriage?
3. When did you meet your spouse for the first time?
4. How did you meet your spouse?
5. Where did you get married?
6. Is your marriage registered, or please show your marriage certificate?
7. What is your spouse’s date of birth?
8. What is your husband’s age? your age?
9. Have you ever called your spouse? what is his/her number?
10. What is your mother-in-law’s name? What is your father-in-law’s name?
11. What is your full maiden name? your spouse full name? why did you not change your surname after marriage (in case you did not)?
12. How many people were present during your marriage?
13. Are your father in law and mother in law in USA (in case they are)? When will they come back? Why do they want to come back?
14. What does your father-in-law do? Same question for your mother-in-law, your mother and father, and your siblings?
15. Are you wearing the same wedding necklace?
16. How long has your spouse been in USA?
H1B related questions:
1. When did your spouse’s H1B start (i.e. start date)?
2. When did your spouse get H1B visa stamped?
3. Does your spouse have H1B stamped, why did he not come? when is he planning to come?
4. Have your spouse applied for green card? is your spouse planning to apply for green card? why not?
5. What is the plan you and your husband have, after H1B (or H4) duration is over?
6. (If you didn’t go for the H4 interview with your spouse’s H1B visa appointment then) Why did you not come with your husband for the interview?
7. Who sponsored your spouse’s H1B?
(In case, you have been in USA before (for example on F2), and then going for H4) Your USA stay related questions:
1. What was your visa status before? what was your spouse’s visa status before?
2. Did you work anywhere?
3. What do you do there? Are you planning to work in the future?
4. How do you spend your time there, if not working?
5. When did you go to USA or how long have you been in USA?
6. Where do you (or your spouse) stay in USA? do you stay together?
(In case, your spouse worked on OPT before shifting to H1B) OPT related questions:
1. How did your spouse work before H1B? or what was your spouse’s status before H1B if he/she was working? (Answer: Post-OPT)
2. How did your spouse work before when he was in school? (Answer: either CPT or PreOPT)
Your spouse’s school (US university where your spouse studied) related questions:
1. Which school did your spouse attend? his/her major? his/her degree?
Your siblings related questions:
1. Do you have any brother or sister or any other relative in USA? similar question for your spouse?
2. Is your brother/sister planning to go to USA, in case they are not in USA? If not, why not?
3. If your spouse family is in USA, then what does your brother-in-law/sister-in-law doing in USA? Where do they stay?