This is my first post, and frankly speaking I do not yet know how to create an impressive and educational blog. When I say “impressive”, I mean that visiting people like it. When I say “educational”, I mean that visiting people can learn something from it. Again, I do not know how to do that. However, what I have learnt during this process, I would like to share with you all. Even if only one person finds it useful, I can say that my first post is successful. As the title of the post says “The easiest way to create a blog for dummies”, that is exactly what I want to share with you. The reason is that by the time I will finish this post, being a dummy myself that is the only thing I will have learnt. And I must say that the key is none other than “WordPress”. So without wandering too much, here are those steps:
1. First create an email account, if you do not have one already, because you will need it when creating an account with WordPress. You can create an email account for yourself on any free email account providers like Google, Yahoo or whatever. I created my account on Google.
2. Now create an account with WordPress. Go to wordpress.com, and click on “sign up now” on your right side. Some important things while creating the account are that do not forget to choose the option “Gimme a blog!”. Assume you choose your user name as “xyz”, then your blog will be “http://xyz.wordpress.com”. Please be sincere when creating your user name, as that is what visiting people will access once your blog becomes popular. Also, please edit “Blog Title” (that comes on 2nd step when you click “next”) to an appropriate string, as that is what other people will see the title of your blog. On third step, it will ask to update your profile. You will get a verification email with a link to verify your WordPress account, please click on that link.
3. After your WordPress account is created, please log in your account. Click on “Posts”, and you will see a default “Hello World” post. Please edit that “Hello world” post and its title with whatever contents you want to write; something like I did. If you want to be more adventurous, then you can write a new post. However, I have not yet achieved that level, so can not help you. WordPress also proofreads your post to correct any spelling mistakes, and keeps saving drafts of your posts at regular intervals. You can click on “View Post” to verify how your post will appear to the outside world. You can edit your posts multiple time, as I have been doing.
4. Similarly, WordPress also creates a default comment in “Comments” section. I would suggest to delete that by clicking on “Trash”. Although that is useful for demonstration, but not good after you have learnt to create your first post on your blog.
5. You will notice that your first post is “uncategorized”. If you want to put your first post into some specific category, WordPress provides an option for that too. Click on “Dashboard”, and you will see a “Categories” section. Click on that, and now you can create specific categories for your posts. For example, I created “Blogging Info” as my first category. If you want to associate your post with this category, click on “Posts” again, and then on your post. On the right hand side of your post, you will see “Categories” section. In that, you can see all your categories, and choose the one you want your post to be associated with.
6. The other useful section is “Pages”. Click on “Pages”, and you will see an “About” page with some default contents. You should edit that with the information about yourself. I would suggest not to put any information that may be a security risk or may lead to identity theft. You can create more pages if you want to.
7. Another important thing is “Permalink” feature provided by WordPress. When you edit your post, you can see under the title of your post, there is a “Permalink”, that you can edit. Permalink is the link to your post that can be used by others for direct access to your post with out going through your blog and then finding and clicking on that post. This link can also be used for submitting your post to blog carnivals.
Now, open your favourite web browser, and type “http://xyz.wordpress.com” in the address bar. You can see your blog, and congratulations, you have become a blogger now.